About Me

My photo
Kingston, Jamaica
A fun-loving, fun-sized, fun-tastic Jamaican girl with a great love for writing, dancing, baking, photography, fashion and the world. Freelance writer, editor, organizer and literary guide. For more info contact: nellablogs25@gmail.com

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Google Ad On

free counters

Saturday, January 12, 2013

One Love: Jamaican Blogger Tag


The Jamaica Blog Awards is hot on the tongues of everyone and a fellow Jamaican blogger over at 
Jabajanas decided to start a Jamaican Blogger Tag. I'm pretty excited about this too. I'll admit that I wasn't too sure what the tag was about because I've never done it before and only had ever seen video tags on youtube but when she explained in her blog post Here (click the link :D) my interest was peaked and I decided to keep the tradition going on. 


So let me start off with an explanation of what is a blogger tag and how it's done. So a blogger tag is a kind of game that involves bloggers of all niches who aim to form links and possibly discover new information and new bloggers while having a little fun. It begins when one blogger chooses the topic of the Tag and then gives a list of questions or one general question which is wide enough to have its answer broken down into list form. After the first blogger answers said question(s), he or she will “tag” other (untagged) bloggers to continue the tag. Now for the rules:


The rules for this tag:

·         Title your post “One Love: Jamaican Blogger Tag”
·         Link back to the blogger who tagged you ( you may add a brief definition of what a tag is if you for the benefit of your readers)
·          Copy and paste the rules at the beginning of your tag.
·         Copy and paste the questions as well so readers know what’s going on.
·         Answer the questions (No duh! J)
·         Tag seven other Jamaican bloggers to continue the trend. Kinda forces you to make friends, no?

The questions are as follows:
  1.  Why did you give your blog its name? (If it is named directly after you, try and make your answer interesting. eg: Did you feel nervous at all about putting your name out there? Did you just lack creativity at the time?)
  2. Why did you start blogging and why do you blog now?
  3. Do you think being Jamaican influences your blogging style?
  4. What do you think about the increase in bloggers in Jamaica?
  5. What is your favourite thing about being Jamaican?
  6. Ackee and saltfish or “ (mackerel) run down”?
  7. Stew peas or stew chicken?
  8. Tastee Patties, Juici Beef Patties or Mother’s?
  9. Pantucky or KFC?
  10. What do you hope to be the future of blogging in Jamaica?
   My Answers:

     1. Well I'm a writer. I love to write and tell stories. I love to write poetry that just seems as fluent as a conversation and I love to make people feel inspired by something I said. Plus I chat nuff and I just always have something to say even if it's a random fact that I'll say 'sidetrack': *random comment here* and then' back on track' and continue what I said. My brain is an organized mess really. So that's where the As Told part comes from. Then my name is Ornella but just about everyone shortens it and says Nella and on nickelodeon there was this cartoon I absolutely loved called "As Told By Ginger" so I decided to do a little spin off and call my blog 'As Told By Nella'. It just seemed to have an effortless ring to it. 

     2. I started blogging to share my stories, poems and articles that weren't being seen by the world. Seeing that I've convinced myself that I'm a great unrequited writer of my time (more like I hope to be) I decided a blog could be the perfect little spot to do this. I continue to blog because it has become apart of me. Whenever my muse 'Lola' (yes I named my muse Lola) talks to me I just have to answer. My blog is my journal. It serves as my therapeutic release. Helps me to recharge and refocus and it's one of the few things that I actively make time for during school time. I like to think of it as my second job with my first being a student. Both of which pays zilch but I love them both.

     3. It definitely does. Most of what I write about and my experiences is a direct influence of my life in Jamaica. What I think rocks and what I think could use some improvement. It reflects my culture, my food, my travels across the island, my school life, relationships and every aspect of my life which is unique to my living here. 

      4. I think it's pretty great actually. It spices things up and gives me a chance to meet brilliant minds that I couldn't possible meet otherwise. It may seem like a new fad for many people who only start blogging to get on the hype but for someone who's been watching others on the blogging scene for a while I know it can create unbelievable bonds and friendships. It's a great way to grow and learn about the life and experiences of others. I like reading about new ventures and interesting things so for my new bloggers are a hoot. Every year I go through the bloggers list and check out every blog in the JBA's. If I come across a new blog I stop by and see what they are about. I even follow a few of the bloggers. My only regret is not interact with more bloggers even though I follow their blogs religiously but I hope to change that this year and start making some new friends.

      5. Haha I think Jamaicans are absolutely hilarious, funny, colourful and friendly. No we are not tellietubbies or wiggles. From the way that we clap as the pilots land the plane safely. To going to the movie theatres and just having people talk and curse at the screen. I absolutely love the atmosphere that we create. I love the colourful language we use to cuss and I don't just mean the claats I mean the random phrases and references that we make that just seem to make sense. Like telling someone dem head placka placka. Who even knows what that means but it just makes sense. Boy we can come up with some things. We inventive too. We are the only people I know who can make a dance out of anything on God's green earth and we even make inventions out of things we just find around the hous. I think we are very practical in how we name things from 'han miggle' to 'neck back' to 'foot bottom'. I mean that's just what they are. Jamaica has a great visual scene, amazing people, great food and an awesome way of life. I just think we are absolutely, most definitely, the best people in the world. *Sorry world* but we are.

      6. Ackee and saltfish without a doubt. Yum!!! It isn't our National Dish for nothing. It tastes absolutely great.If you've never tried it well I pity you and run to the nearest Jamaican restaurant or cook or family member and try it now. I mean it tastes good with boil dumpling, roast breadfruit, fried dumpling, bread, crackers, just about anything. Ahhh...........just amazing.

         7. Stew Chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Duh!!!! It can serve for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Need I really say more? Yummmmmmy!!!!

      8. Tastee Patties hands down. It's the original and the best Patty Company in Jamaica. Hands down. No contest.

       9. Pantucky! I love jerk chicken so much. I just can't get enough. Big up the pan chicken men in Portland and on Red Hills Road. Unno large!!!! Lol! But it's just so amazing. Give me Pantucky any day of the week and you have a happy girl right there.

      10. I hope we can an active blogging community going. That we becoming voices in Jamaica that people truly identify with and look to. That blogging could be someone's official job and not a side job or a hobby that they picked up. That bloggers will support each other and build up our respective brands to all we meet. That blogging in Jamaica is noticeable both locally and internationally.

  My tag came from: Jabajanas and I tag:

  Sheree of Sheree a la mode  
  Ashleigh of The Pink Socialite
  Carey- Lee of Eat Explore Live and For Women to Women
  Kimroy of Kimroy Bailey
  Shelley of Sweet & Sour Ramblings

5 comments:

  1. I love how I see this tag just as I've logged into my blog to post some stuff =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lot of food questions..,
    Good post Nella, thanks for the tag, I'll post mine tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I just saw both of your posts. Good job guys :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mackylos I'm checking it out now :)

    ReplyDelete