Why New Year's Resolutions Never Work!!!!
Every year as it gets closer to the start of the New Year, it is a popular tradition to write down a list of New Year's Resolutions. We write things we want to change about ourselves and all these big changes we are going to make in the New Year. But couple weeks later, we are back to the same old habits we had in the previous year. So let's face it New Year's Resolutions do not work. Now let's get to the root of the problem and figure out why they do not work.
Now the first reasons that resolutions do not work is we try too hard to make it coincide with a calendar. Why must we start our desired change on January 1st every year? There is nothing magical about that day that makes it different that the rest. Yes the idea of a fresh start is appeal, but it makes no sense you say I will change my bad habit on January 1st and even on December 31st you are still doing the wrong. Bad habits are very hard to break. And it takes a lot of effort, will power and focus to actually break these habits and maintain the change achieved.
The second reason why resolutions do not work is because they are very unrealistic. It is very easy to say I want to lose 25 pounds by February 2010 and put that as a resolution, but in actuality this is not an easy feat to accomplish. Too often we make resolutions that lack a plan, are not specific enough and overall that are just very unrealistic to be achieved. Now I am not saying that you cannot accomplish your resolution, nor am I saying that there has never been a person that has accomplished his/her resolution; however what I am saying is that you need to change your tactic towards achieving your resolution to a more effective one.
So that said, how do I accomplish my resolution? The first thing is to change your resolution goals. Instead of saying 'I want to lose weight' say 'I want to be healthy and make healthier choices' for the New Year. This change of statement may seem a bit simple but it will help to make the transition a bit easier.
The next step is to be specific. Set out clear and achievable goals on paper and supplement this with a plan. For example, if you say you want to save more money in 2010, make a clear plan, which may be saying that no matter what I will put at least $ 500-$1000 of savings in the bank each month. If you do not have a bank account, I think it would be a good idea if you open one. The most important aspect of this step is to plan. The plan gives a step by step description of how you believe you can achieve your goal and gives an idea of how much you will have to do.
The last recommendation to accomplishing your New Year's Resolution is to start as early as possible. Do not decide to start on New Year's Day. Why not start December 3rd or August 1st or any other day? Do not let the calendar decide the day for you. Start your change as soon as possible. Just remember, 'Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.'





Preach it sister!!
ReplyDeleteLol
ReplyDelete