About Me

My photo
Kingston, Jamaica
A fun-loving, fun-sized, fun-tastic Jamaican girl with a great love for writing, dancing, baking, photography, fashion and the world. Freelance writer, editor, organizer and literary guide. For more info contact: nellablogs25@gmail.com

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Google Ad On

free counters

Friday, July 27, 2012

50 for 50 almost done

Hello hello ladies and gents!

Well my darlings it has been a busy 2 weeks as I'm getting closer and closer to my exams. Expect me to be MIA for the next few weeks. Anyways I want to tell you about the 50 for 50 challenge and guess what? We're in week 9. Can you believe it?! One more week and it's done. It's been a great way to sharpen the saw and challenge my skills so to speak. Anyhoo. I Just wanted to share with you last week's and this week's entries into the competition. Hope you enjoy and feel free to check out others at http://50for50jubilee.wordpress.com/2012

Mirror Mirror by Ornella Green

Mirror mirror
On the wall
Is this what I truly see?
Is this what has become of my country?
When I marched from Stony Gut
For the sake of freedom
Was this what I was marching for?
Is this what Mas George and I died for?
Corruption
Violence
Hatred
Murder
Our children being uneducated
And worse yet
Under-educated
Left to fight in the hunger games
Mirror mirror
On the wall
Where hath thy country gone?
Where hath our love disappeared to?
Has our view been shattered?
Our visions of our future distorted
We are turning 50 and celebrating
But have we truly achieved?
Are we a place to live?
To work?
Play?
Raise families?
Do business?
Are we advancing not only our pockets
But also our minds
Turning our trials
Into triumphs
Our messes
Into messages
Mirror mirror
On the wall
Tell me what you see
Is this what there is?
A future that makes me weep?



Jamaica Jamaica by Ornella Green

I and I is jus’
Jus’ one likkle island inna di Caribbean
Mi sunshine bright
Suh we name wi name wi netballers
Sunshine Girls
My people love dem music inno
All kinda great artist dem come from yah
Mi know yuh mussi hear bout Bob
but yuh know bout Jimmy or Peter or Yellow man?
Wah yuh know bout the Wailers?
Yes massa wi love wi music
Suh wi footballers name
Reggae Boyz
Hurricane try rock mi
Every September mi get one visit
But one weh shook mi
Did name Gilbert
What a way it did mash up mi trees dem
Wash weh mi road dem
Dem all mek song bout it
‘Wata cum een ah mi room’
Di way how di ting treat wi bad
Yahdie conscious wi seh
Ah dat wi always ah pree
Whether foreign or ah yaad
Yahdie words wi seh
‘Likkle but tallawah’
‘Out of many one people’
‘Every mickle mek a muckle’
‘Jack, man, dora mi nuh choose none’
Yes man di whole ah dem tings yah come from fi mi people mout’
Mhmm
Mi is one likkle island
But mi story tall
Cuz when Anansi ready fi land
And spin him web of tales
Or weh yuh hear bout black man, white man and chiney man
All when boyzie decide fi pop style
Yuh laugh and drop dung like mi bobsled team
Mi seh mi hist’ry set
It rhythm nice
But that is another story
Mek wi save it fi ah next time
Cuz it look like them ready fi start di fireworks
50 years free dem seh
I and I



No comments:

Post a Comment