About Me

My photo
Kingston, Jamaica
A fun-loving, fun-sized, fun-tastic Jamaican girl with a great love for writing, dancing, baking, photography, fashion and the world. Freelance writer, editor, organizer and literary guide. For more info contact: nellablogs25@gmail.com

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Google Ad On

free counters

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rated F!


Am I the only one who has a problem with the level of customer service in Jamaica?
We see it time and time again. You enter into a store, restaurant, bank etc. and you encounter a scene where a customer is upset about the way he/she is being spoken to 'like dem ah nuhbody'. The message that comes across as a result of the inappropriate behaviour of those in the service industry is that if you're not a 'big shot' or 'you don't behave badly' you won't get the proper service.

Let me replay one of my own personal incidents with you all.

(This is a long rant so prepare)

Earlier in the summer I went to the NCB on campus with two of my friends for the coin Wednesdays drive that they have. Every Wednesday except the last Wednesday of the month NCB does a coin exchange. Now my friends had made previous attempts to do this however, they were met with some tidbits or information such as they do not do the exchange on the last wednesday of the month and coins have to be in clear plastic bags that led to their postponement of their going.
Anyways, they went and after waiting a long time in the line they reach a teller. One of those full of attitude too. So since they were both exchanging coins they decided to just go together. After presenting their coins they are further informed that it has to be 100 coins or less. Ok no problem just put some here and there and make it work (this is after they've counted and separated the coins based on value).

(This is a lot, you should take a breather! :))

After they've done this, she weighs the coins 'this is not 100' and hands back the coins. Now she said a hundred or less, so we were like one has 96 and another 98 what's the problem? Despite all this remained calm and just did it over. Since it was taking long I decided to pitch in and make it move faster. Counting counting counting. She hands back a bag this is not a hundred so I had 25 extra coins and took the bag. I asked her 'how much is in there?' No answer! Ok so I just add the 25 coins I had and give her back then she proceeds to ask me how much in the bag so I look at her and say idk you just counted and I added 25 coins you figure it out. And imagine after she had finished with one of my friends she's like I'll be back to the other and go to other customers who were waiting; taking an extensive time before she returned and then pawn my friend off to another teller.

The main problem I had on that day was her attitude. Her behaviour from the get-go was completely rude. I mean I understand you may have had a long day but it's your job and we were not being rude to you so you should give us the same respect. And this is not an isolated incident it happens at many places across the island where the staff treat the 'locals', 'the poorer or middle-class looking set', 'the younger persons' or 'the elderly' like if they don't deserve the same respect you'd give the rich and powerful and it NEEDS TO STOP.
I AM HUMAN and I DESERVE RESPECT.


(Break #2 Almost there!)

It doesn't matter where a person is from, treat them with due respect and serve with a friendly smile and the professionalism that makes everyone respect you. Yes you will always have rude and impatient customers BUT maintain your professionalism and give good service!

This is my rant and message for today! If you've read this far, THANK YOU SO MUCH! And be the change you wish to see in the world.


Much Love,
Nella :)
 


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment